Hannah: Freedom Suit, Arlington County (Part 1 of 3)
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
In the case of Negro Hannah agt.
A. P. West etc.
To enable this court to proceed to final decree in this cause it is ordered that a jury be impanelled [impaneled] at the Bar of this court at October term next to inquire
1. was there any contract between the late Stephen West and Charles Jackson for the purchase by the latter from the former of the freedom of the complts. Hannah & Peggy daughters of the said Charles Jackson?
2. If there was such a contract when was it made & what were its terms as nearly as can now be ascertained was said contract in writing or not?
3. was said contract, if any was made, performed by the said Charles Jackson & Stephen West or by either of them?
4. was any consideration paid by A. P. W & Benjamin Oder or either of them to J.W. for the conveyance dated the 16 day of March 1821 exhibited with the answer of the said A. P. West if there was what was the consideration etc. paid?
5. Had the beforsaid A. P. W. and B. Oder or either of them actual or [combination?] notice of the claim to freedom made by the complts. or by any of them when they received the said Deed of the 16 March 1827?