"A Geological Report upon the Coal Lands of Mrs. J. R. Harrison & others in Fayette County, West Virginia" by Jed. Hotchkiss
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
A Geological Report upon the Coal Lands of Mrs. J. R. Harrison & others in Fayette County, West Virginia: By Jed. Hotchkiss, Consulting Engineer Staunton Va. May 1877
The annexed map from the report of the commissioners with additions, gives the metes and bounds and location of a tract of 6,256 acres of coal and timberland situated on the north side of the Great Kanawha river on the waters of Smithers' and Twenty Mile creeks, Fayette Co. West Virginia.
The titles to this estate were settled by the suit above referred to and are unquestioned.
This tract of land is seven miles in length, from S.W. to N.E. and varies in width from 3/4 of a mile to 2 miles. It has an available frontage of some six miles on the waters Smithers'Creek and its Right Hand Fork from the Kanawha, and 2 1/2 miles on the waters of Twenty Mile [illegible] Every portion of the land can be easily reached by the narrow valleys of the water-courses that penetrate it.
Four-fifths of this estate has a natural, level-free outlet to the Kanawha down Smithers' Creek which enters that river in the pool made by the Paint Creek dam now being constructed by the U.S. Government. This outlet is opposite to Cannelton Station of the Chesapeake & Ohio railway, on the other side of the Kanawha, and adjacent to the village of Cannelton the coal miles of which have access to the railroad by a ferry and railway tracks. Turnpike roads run along the Kanawha and the Gauley and county roads extend from these up Twenty Mile and Smithers' creeks and their principal branches.
This estate is in the central portion of Formation XIII of Rogers' Virginia survey, a part of which Great Carboniferous, where the geological structure is exceedingly simple, and where the contents of the Middle Measures, those that here from the hills from the river-level up,-are very well known, since coal-mining operations are actively conducted in the immediate vicinity.
The bed of the Kanawha opposite this land is but little above the Falls sandstone, the base of the Middle Measures, which not far below on the river, rises nearby to the surface (having reversed the N.W. dip it has at the Falls to a gentle dip to the S.E.). From the river the hills rise, almost abruptly, to an elevation of 700 or 800 ft. which is soon increased to about 1000 on the watersheds of the tributary streams. The channels of the main creeks are cut down to nearly the same level as the river, so the faces of the hills are, most of them, about 1,000 feet high.
This tract is part of a survey of 19,567 A. granted by the state of Virginia to John Steele on the 2nd of March 1795, which was sub-divided, by order of the circuit court of Kanawha County, in the suit of Taliaferro vx Patrick, into lots "A," "B," "C," "D," "E," and "F". Lot "E" was divided into lots "G" and "H" and the lot shown on this map is said lot "H".
Scale: 200 poles to one inch. The "squares"on the map are miles.
Map: Bell Creek, Twenty Mile Creek, Gauley River, Buffalo Branch, Right Hand Fork, Cannel Coal Mine, Cannelton, Smithers Creek, Cannelton Station, Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, Great Kanawha River, Armstrong's Creek, Boomer's Branch, Blake's Branch.